Autumnal Beef and Chestnut Casserole
Slow cooked autumnal beef casserole with shin, stewing or braising cubes, root vegetables and chestnuts in red wine and stock. Warming and delicious autumn dish for four.
- 450g/1lb lean boneless shin, stewing or braising beef, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp plain flour seasoned with salt and freshly milled black pepper and
- 10ml/2tsp ground nutmeg
- 20ml/2tsp oil
- 8 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 175g/6oz baby carrots, topped and left whole
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 450ml/¾pint good, hot beef stock
- 200ml/7floz good red wine
- 15ml/1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200g/7oz cooked and peeled whole chestnuts
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3,170°C,325°F.
- Place the flour, seasoning and nutmeg into a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat with the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the beef for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides. Transfer to a 1.2L/2pint ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan cook the shallots, garlic and carrots for 2-3 minutes. Spoon into the casserole dish with the tomatoes.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish, bring to the boil, cover and transfer to the oven to cook for 1½-2 hours.
- Serve with mustard mash.