Aromatic Beef with Orange and Apricots
Serve with herb mash and spring greens.
- 450g/1lb lean braising or topside steak, cubed
- 5ml/1tsp fennel seeds
- 5ml/1tsp ground coriander
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 small onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 50g/2oz dried apricots, chopped
- 50ml/2floz orange juice
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 100ml/3½floz red wine
- 30ml/2tbsp red wine vinegar
- 30ml/2tbsp oil
- 30ml/2tbsp plain flour
- 15ml/1tbsp tomato puree, optional
- 800ml/1½pint beef stock
- 175g/6oz button mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C,350-375°F
- In a large bowl mix together the beef, fennel seeds, coriander, thyme, garlic, onions, carrots, apricots, orange juice, celery, red wine, red wine vinegar and seasoning.
- Cover the marinade and if possible leave in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Drain the marinade mixture and reserve. Heat the oil in a medium-sized casserole or ovenproof dish and brown the meat with the vegetables in batches. Stir in the flour, reserved marinade, tomato puree, beef stock, and bring to the boil. Add the button mushrooms, halved, if preferred.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 1½-2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the meat is tender.
- Serve with herb mash and spring greens.
Nutrition: Per Serving