Aromatic Beef with Orange and Apricots
An aromatic slow cook beef casserole dish made with beef cubes, herbs and spices, sweet apricots and red wine.
- 450g lean braising or topside steak, cubed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 small onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 50g dried apricots, chopped
- 50ml orange juice
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 100ml red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree, optional
- 800ml good hot beef stock
- 175g small button mushrooms, left whole and cleaned
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C Fan, Gas Mark 4-5.
- In a large bowl mix together the beef, fennel seeds, coriander, thyme, garlic, onions, carrots, apricots, orange juice, celery, red wine, red wine vinegar and seasoning.
- Cover the marinade and if possible leave in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Drain the marinade mixture and reserve. Heat the oil in a medium-sized casserole or ovenproof dish and brown the meat with the vegetables in batches. Stir in the flour, reserved marinade, tomato purée, beef stock, and bring to the boil. Add the button mushrooms, halved, if preferred.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 1½-2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until the meat is tender.
- Serve with herb mash and spring greens.