BBQ Lamb Kebabs with Lemongrass & Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 675g lean lamb leg or boneless shoulder, cut into 5cm cubes
For the Marinade:
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- Large handful freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 large lime
- 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
For the Sweet Chilli Sauce:
- 8 tablespoons rice or sherry vinegar
- 50g caster sugar
- ¼ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
For the Roasted Summer Vegetables:
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into cubes
- 2 courgettes, roughly chopped
- 1 aubergine, roughly chopped
- 15 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2-3 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the marinade; place the lamb into a shallow bowl. Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour over the lamb. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Meanwhile prepare the roasted vegetables, place the vegetables in a large ovenproof casserole dish or roasting tray. Tear the herbs and add to the tray, season, drizzle with olive oil and lightly toss. Roast uncovered for 40-50 minutes in a preheated oven to 200°C, 190°C Fan, Gas Mark 6 until golden brown, shaking the pan occasionally during cooking.
- To make the sweet chilli sauce, place the vinegar and caster sugar into a small pan and heat gently, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the chilli, coriander and shallot. Transfer to a small dish to cool until required.
- Thread the lamb cubes onto 6 metal or wooden (previously soaked in water) and cook on a prepared barbecue or preheated grill for 12-16 minutes, turning occasionally until the meat juices run clear.
- Serve the kebabs with the roasted summer vegetables and the sweet chilli sauce.