Aromatic Lamb Warmer
2 hours 30 minutes
- 675g lean boneless lamb or mutton leg, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 5ml/1tsp fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 850ml good, hot lamb stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Large bunch fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 100g red lentils
- Extra freshly chopped mint leaves, to garnish
- Place the spices in a dry pan and dry fry for 1-2 minutes to release the aromatic oils. Transfer to a pestle and mortar and crush to form a powder. Alternatively place the spices in a clean tea towel and crush with a rolling pin.
- Place the lamb or mutton in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper. Stir in the spices.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole pan and brown the meat in batches. Return all the meat to the pan and add the stock, chopped tomatoes and mint. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 2-2½hours.
- Add the lentils, cover and simmer for a further 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish with extra mint leaves and serve with plenty of hot crusty bread.