Lamb Kidneys with Mustard and Lemon
This is a great brunch dish using lamb kidneys, butter, shallots, white wine, lemon juice served on a toasted crumpet and garnished with toasted fresh breadcrumbs and lemon zest.
- 450g lamb kidneys, cored and quartered
- 1-2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small shallot or 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 100ml dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Toasted fresh breadcrumbs, to serve
- Warmed crumpets or muffins, to serve
- Grated lemon zest, to garnish
- In a small bowl mix together the mustard and half the butter.
- Heat the remaining butter in a non-stick pan until foaming. Toss the kidneys in the butter, season and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To make the sauce cook the shallots or spring onions for 1-2 minutes in the same pan, add the wine and lemon juice and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and add the mustard butter, melt gently and return the kidneys to the pan with any juices from the kidneys. Toss gently.
- Spoon on top of a toasted crumpet, muffin or half a brioche roll, garnish with the parsley, breadcrumbs and lemon zest. Serve immediately.