Mint Marinated Lamb with Blueberry Gravy
Roast leg of lamb with a fruity twist, rolled in a minty marinade and glazed with crushed blueberries.
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean lamb leg joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the mint marinade
- :45ml/3tbsp olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- ½x20g pack fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
For the blueberry gravy
- :1 x 150g punnet fresh blueberries, rinsed
- 15ml/1tbsp plain flour
- 300ml½pint good, hot lamb stock
- 90ml/6tbsp good red wine
- 15ml/1tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Prepare the marinade; place all the ingredients except the blueberries in a large dish. Place the joint on a chopping board and with a sharp knife make several slits over the surface of the joint. Season.
- Roll the joint in the marinade mix and stuff the mixture into the slits.
- Place on a metal rack in a large roasting tin and open roast for the preferred calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any lamb juices.
- Place the blueberries in a small bowl and lightly crush with a fork. 15-20 minutes before the end of the cooking time brush the joint with half the blueberries and spoon any excess around the joint.
- Remove the joint from the oven, place on a carving board or large platter, cover with foil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- To make the blueberry gravy spoon off any excess fat from the roasting tin and discard. Place the roasting tin over a medium heat, sprinkle over the flour and stir well with a small whisk or spoon. Add a little stock and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release the rich lamb sediment.
- Add the rest of the stock, any juices from the lamb joint, wine, redcurrant jelly and the remaining blueberries. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until reduced to a well-flavoured gravy. Strain before serving.
- Carve the lamb and serve the lamb with seasonal vegetables and the blueberry gravy.