Minty Apple Chutney
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground allspice powder
- 1 whole cinnamon stick, halved
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 5cm/2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 60ml/4tbsp currants
- 175g/6oz granulated sugar
- 45ml/3tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 150ml/¼pint cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 2.5ml/½tsp dried chilli flakes
- Pinch ground cloves
- 4 dessert apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch freshly chopped mint
1. Put all the ingredients except the apples and mint into a large pan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the mixture is reduced by most of the liquid is reduced by 2/3rds.
2. Add the apples and cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender and the liquid is almost evaporated.
3. Cool slightly, remove the cinnamon sticks and serve hot or cold with cooked sliced roast meats or spoon the mixture into two sterilised jars (or smaller glass gift jars labelled and given as gifts for Christmas).