Mustard and Herb Rubbed Leg of Lamb
A lean lamb leg joint coated with a combination of mustard, garlic and fresh herbs, roasted and served with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g plus 30 minutes
- 1kg/2.2kg lean leg of lamb
- 4 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 4 tablespoons English mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 675g-1kg red potatoes, peeled
- 3 large, carrots, peeled, halved and cut into four lengthways
- 2 red peppers, cored, deseeded and chopped
- Using a sharp knife make deep incisions all over the lamb joint. Mix together the mustards, garlic and herbs. Rub over the lamb and season. If time allows cover and leave in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C Fan, Gas mark 4-5.
- Place the joint in a large roasting tray and drizzle with the oil. Roast uncovered for the calculated cooking time. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- 40 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the roasting tray from the oven and add the potatoes, carrots, peppers and thyme around the lamb joint. Toss gently.
- Serve the lamb whole or sliced with the roasted vegetables.