Roast Beef with Madeira, Mustard and Orange Marinade
Taking the time to marinate this beef topside or silverside joint in orange, mustard and madeira is worth the effort for the wonderful flavours.
1 hour 30 minutes
To Cook Rare: 20 minutes per 450g plus 20 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g plus 30 minutes
- 1 x 1.3kg lean topside or silverside joint
For the madeira, mustard and orange marinade:
- Grated zest of ½ orange
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons Madeira or sweet sherry
- 125ml fresh orange juice
- 60ml mild olive oil
For the gravy:
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 600ml good hot beef stock
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C Fan, Gas Mark 4-5.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slits over the surface of the joint. Transfer to a large shallow dish, season with salt and pepper and rub the marinade all over the joint. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin, discard the marinade mixture and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any meat juices.
- Remove the joint from the oven. Cover and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the gravy: spoon off any excess fat from the roasting tin and discard. Place the roasting tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, add a little stock and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any rich, beefy sediment.
- Add the remaining stock, and any meat juices from the platter, adjust the seasoning, if required and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve the beef with the gravy and seasonal vegetables.