Festive Roast Beef with Ginger and Five-Spice Butter
Festive centrepiece with a difference. Rib eye or sirloin joint in a ginger, garlic and chilli marinade and a Chinese 5 spice butter
To Cook Rare: 20 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 20 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 1.3kg-1.8kg/3-4lb lean rib of beef or sirloin joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the five-spice butter
- :50g/2oz unsalted butter, softened
- 10ml/2tsp Chinese five-spice powder
For the marinade
- :30ml/2tbsp fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5ml/1tsp dried chilli flakes
- 60ml/4tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 30ml/2tbsp sherry vinegar
For the sweet potato and wild mushroom stuffing
- :175g/6oz sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 75g/3oz wild or common mushrooms, peeled and finely chopped
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 100g/4oz fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Prepare the five-spice butter; in a small bowl mix together the butter and the five-spice powder. Set aside until required.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and lightly score the surface of the beef. Transfer to a large shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Mix the marinade ingredients together and rub the mixture all over the joint. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the joint from the refrigerator, shake off any remaining marinade and discard. Smear the surface of the beef with the five-spice butter.
- Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any meat juices.
- Serve the beef with stuffing balls, gravy, crispy roasted vegetables and Brussels sprouts with crispy pancetta and sage.
Sweet Potato and Wild Mushroom Stuffing:
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F.
- Boil the sweet potatoes for 15-20 minutes. Drain, roughly mash and set aside to cool.
- Heat the oil and cook the onions and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together and shape into 16 balls.
- Arrange on a foil-lined baking tray and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with roast beef.