Spiced Beef Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
A delicious warming soup using cooked roast beef. A great leftover roast dish flavoured with curry powder, pumpkin, carrots, onions, celery and beef stock.
- 225g cooked roast beef, shredded or cubed
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry paste or similar
- 4 medium carrots (weighing about 225g), peeled and roughly chopped
- 350-450g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1L good, hot beef or vegetable stock
- Splash sweet sherry, optional
- Crème fraîche, to serve
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives or flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, pumpkin or butternut squash, celery and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor and return to the pan with the beef. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, add the sherry (if used) and simmer for 2-3 minutes until piping hot.
- Season if required and serve with a spoonful of crème fraîche and a sprinkling of fresh chives or flat-leaf parsley to garnish.