Lamb and Butter Bean Soup
- 375g/12oz lean boneless lamb neck fillet or shoulder cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 10ml/2tsp ground cumin
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- 600ml/1pint good, hot lamb stock
- 1 x 400g can butter or cannellini beans, drained
- 1 large sprig rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
Season the lamb and dust with the cumin.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and brown the lamb in batches for 4-5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and tomato purée and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the stock, rosemary and half the thyme leaves.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and transfer to a large heatproof dish, cover and cook on the hob for 1½-2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the beans.
Garnish with the remaining thyme leaves and serve with crusty bread.