Use lamb neck fillet or lamb shoulder cubes for this curry and a curry paste of your choice. The recipe is a guaranteed winner in the curry stakes!
1 hour 30 minutes
- 675g lean lamb neck fillet, or shoulder, cut into 5cm cubes
- 3 tablespoons medium curry paste of your choice
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 1 x 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamon pods, slightly crushed
- 1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml good, hot lamb or vegetable stock
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- Large handful of freshly chopped coriander
Put the lamb cubes into a large plastic food bag, add the curry paste and toss to coat the lamb. Seal and marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour, if time allows.
Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish with a lid and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and spices for 2-3 minutes or until soft and lightly golden.
Add the lamb with the curry paste and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock and chilli (if used). Cover and cook for 1-1½hours or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Season if required.
Remove the cinnamon stick and serve with pilau rice, naan bread and a chutney of your choice.