Lamb, Vegetable and Lentil Soup with Cabbage
A delicious warming stew with cubes of boneless lamb neck fillet, lentils, onions, carrots, swede, fresh herbs, lamb stock and sliced cabbage.
- 675g lean boneless lamb shoulder or neck fillet cut into 2.5cmcubes
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped OR 1 x 450g chopped onions
- 100g red lentils, rinsed
- 700ml good, hot lamb stock
- 1 large sprig rosemary, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 225g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 225g swede, peeled and roughly chopped
- Handful finely chopped green cabbage
- Place the lamb in large bowl and season.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the lamb in batches for 5-6 minutes.
Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the lentils, stock, rosemary and half the thyme leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat then cover and cook for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the carrots, swede and cabbage. Continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
Garnish with the remaining fresh thyme leaves and serve with crusty bread.