This delicious Lamb Shawarma is a Middle Eastern street food packed with a variety of spice and the meat is grilled or barbecued. Lamb leg or shoulder cubes are great for this recipe sprinkled and marinated with ras el hanout or Moroccan spices and pomegranate molasses - very morerish.
- 450g lamb shoulder or leg steaks, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- For the Marinade:
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and crushed or 3 teaspoons garlic purée
- 2 tablespoons ras el hanout or Moroccan spice mix (available in the spice aisle at large supermarkets)
- 1-2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar mixed with 30ml/2tbsp runny honey
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
For the Lemon Chick Pea Purée:
- 1 x 400g can chick peas, drained
- 1 garlic clove peeled and crushed or 2 teaspoons garlic purée
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander or flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- Flat breads, to serve
- Salad leaves, to serve
- Extra freshly chopped coriander, flat-leaf parsley or mint, to garnish
- Extra ras el hanout, to garnish
Place all the marinade ingredients in a large, shallow bowl. Add the lamb, toss to coat, cover and marinate in the fridge for up to two hours, or overnight if time allows.
Soak 4-6 wooden skewers in cold water for 20 minutes. For the chick pea purée; place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and whizz together until smooth. Season to taste and set aside. Soak 4-6 wooden skewers in cold water for 20 minutes. For the chick pea purée; place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and whizz together until smooth. Season to taste and set aside.
Thread the lamb onto the skewers and cook under a preheated grill or under a prepared barbecue for 12-16 minutes, turning occasionally or until any meat juices run clear.
Arrange a flatbread on a plate and spread a large spoonful of the purée. Position one shawarma on top, garnish with salad leaves. Garnish with a little of the ras el hanout or Moroccan spices and extra herbs and serve.