Lamb Casserole with Spring Vegetables
This lamb casserole recipe consists of a warming light soup or broth made with lamb neck fillet or lamb shoulder cubes accompanied by delicious seasonal spring produce ingredients like potatoes, leeks, peas, stock, a little curry powder and freshly chopped coriander or parsley. It's a delicious one pot dish cooked on the hob or in the oven.
1 hour 30 minutes
- 675g lean lamb neck fillet or shoulder, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 850ml good, hot lamb stock
- 450g new potatoes, halved
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 100g fresh peas
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander or flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat, meanwhile put the lamb in a large plastic food bag, season and add the curry powder, seal and shake well to coat.
- Cook the lamb in batches in the pan for 3-4 minutes until brown. Transfer to a large heatproof casserole dish with a lid.
- In the same frying pan cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Spoon into the casserole dish and add the stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob or in a preheated oven at 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas mark 3 for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- 25 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the potatoes and continue cooking.
- 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the leeks and peas.
- Garnish the casserole with the herbs and serve with crusty bread.