Lamb Casserole with Spring Vegetables
1 hour 30 minutes
- 675g/1½lb lean lamb neck fillet or shoulder, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 30ml/1tbsp oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 10ml/2tsp curry powder
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 850ml/1½pint good, hot lamb stock
- 450g/1lb new potatoes, halved
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 100g/4oz fresh peas
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped coriander or flat-leaf parsley
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat, meanwhile put the lamb in a large plastic food bag, season and add the curry powder, seal and shake well to coat.
Cook the lamb in batches in the pan for 3-4 minutes until brown. Transfer to a large heatproof casserole dish with a lid.
In the same frying pan cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Spoon into the casserole dish and add the stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob or in a preheated oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
25 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the potatoes and continue cooking.
10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the leeks and peas.
Garnish the casserole with the herbs and serve with crusty bread.