Hot and Sour Soup with Thai Meatballs
A delicious quick soup made with beef mince shaped into meatballs, Thai ingredients, rice noodles, green beans, spring onions and freshly chopped coriander and mint.
- 450g lean beef mince
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced (with the seeds)
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 1.2L good, hot vegetable stock
- 2 kaffir lime leaves or grated zest of 2 limes
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 200g fresh rice noodles
- 100g green beans, roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped mint, to garnish
- Place the mince into a large bowl with half of each of the following; the lemon grass, chilli, coriander, garlic, fish sauce and seasoning. Mix well and shape into 24 walnut-sized meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the meatballs for 3-4 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In a large saucepan add the remaining lemongrass, chilli, coriander, garlic, fish sauce. Then add the seasoning, stock, kaffir lime leaves or grated lime zest, turmeric, sugar and lime juice. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the noodles, beans, spring onions and meatballs. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon into soup bowls, garnish with the herbs and serve with hot crusty bread.