Hot and Sour Soup with Thai Meatballs
- 450g/1lb lean beef mince
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced (with the seeds)
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp fish sauce
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 10ml/2tsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 1.2L/2pints good, hot vegetable stock
- 2 kaffir lime leaves or grated zest of 2 limes
- 1.25ml/¼tsp ground turmeric
- 15ml/1tbsp caster sugar
- Juice of 2 limes
- 200g/7oz fresh rice noodles
- 100g/4oz green beans, roughly chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped mint, to garnish
Place the mince into a large bowl with half of each of the following; the lemon grass, chilli, coriander, garlic, fish sauce and seasoning. Mix well and shape into 24 walnut-sized meatballs.
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the meatballs for 3-4 minutes or until brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
In a large saucepan add the remaining lemongrass, chilli, coriander, garlic, fish sauce. Then add the seasoning, stock, kaffir lime leaves or grated lime zest, turmeric, sugar and lime juice. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the noodles, beans, spring onions and meatballs. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Spoon into soup bowls, garnish with the herbs and serve with hot crusty bread.