Lamb and Coffee (Espresso) Stew
1 hour 30 minutes
- 450g/1lb lean boneless lamb shoulder or neck fillet cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 15ml/1tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- 450ml/¾pint good, hot lamb stock
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 100ml/3½fl oz strong instant or expresso coffee, made to suit your taste)
- 1 x 400g can black eye beans or chick peas, drained
- 10ml/2tsp freshly chopped thyme or flat-leaf parsley
Heat the oil in a large on stick frying pan, season the lamb and brown in batches for 5-6 minutes. Remove and transfer to a large flameproof casserole dish with a lid.
Add the onions, garlic and carrot. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Spoon into the casserole dish and add the chilli flakes, mixed herbs and flour. Stir gently.Add the onions, garlic and carrot. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Spoon into the casserole dish and add the chilli flakes, mixed herbs and flour. Stir gently.
Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce and coffee. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 1½hours until the meat is tender.
5 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the beans or peas.
Garnish with the herbs and serve with seasonal vegetables.