Chilli Beef and Coconut Noodle Soup
- 450g/1lb lean beef or lamb stir-fry strips
- 15ml/1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 60ml/4tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
- 1 x 250-300g/9-10½oz pack stir- fry vegetables
- 30ml/2tbsp fish sauce
- 2 x 400g cans coconut milk
- 300ml/½pint good, hot vegetable stock
- 10ml/2tsp white sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- ½ x 250-300g/pack fresh rice noodles
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, to garnish
- 1 x 25g pack fresh coriander, finely chopped, to garnish, optional
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pot (with lid) and cook the beef or lamb strips with the curry paste, garlic and lemon grass for 1-2 minutes until the strips are golden brown. Add the stir-fry vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, sugar and lime zest. Stir gently. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the noodles and heat for a further minute. Season if required.
Divide the broth between four bowls, garnish with the chilli and coriander. Serve immediately.