Chilli Beef and Coconut Noodle Soup
This Thai-based one-pot comforting soup is perfect for chilly evenings. Strips of beef or lamb stir-fry strips are cooked with Thai curry paste, garlic, lemongrass, stock, stir-fry vegetables, coconut milk and rice noodles. Perfect for a main meal too.
- 450g lean beef or lamb stir-fry strips
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- 4 tablespoons red Thai curry paste
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 1 lemon grass stalk, finely chopped
- 1 x 250-300g pack stir- fry vegetables
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 x 400g cans coconut milk
- 300ml good, hot vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- ½ x 250-300g pack fresh rice noodles
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, to garnish
- 1 x 25g pack fresh coriander, finely chopped, to garnish, optional
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pot (with lid) and cook the beef or lamb strips with the curry paste, garlic and lemon grass for 1-2 minutes until the strips are golden brown. Add the stir-fry vegetables and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, sugar and lime zest. Stir gently. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the noodles and heat for a further minute. Season if required.
- Divide the broth between four bowls, garnish with the chilli and coriander. Serve immediately.