Steak Nachos with Salsa
Our flavoursome Steak Nachos make a great informal midweek meal for family and friends alike. Thin cut beef strips are combined with spices, seared and layered with tortilla chips, grated cheese and jalapeno peppers and a squeeze of lime. Don’t forget to serve with the tomato and avocado salsa!
- 450g/1lb thin cut beef steaks, cut into strips
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 10ml/2tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 x 175-200g/6-7oz bag plain tortilla chips
- 150g/5oz mature grated Cheddar cheese
- 25g/1oz sliced green jalapeno peppers, roughly chopped (optional)
- Juice of ½ lime
- Large handful freshly chopped coriander
For the salsa
- 1 x 200g/7oz pack baby plum or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to garnish
- 100ml/3½fl oz soured cream, to serve
- To prepare the salsa; in a small bowl mix all the salsa ingredients together. Season and set aside for later.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the beef and cumin, stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until the beef is caramelised.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200°C. Line the base of a large baking sheet with foil or non-stick baking paper. Spread the tortilla chips over the base of the tray, scatter over half the cheese and sprinkle over the jalapeno peppers.
- Spoon the beef mixture evenly over the tortilla, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish the nachos with lime juice, fresh coriander and lime wedges then serve immediately with the salsa and soured cream.