Light Beef Miso Soup with Watercress
Traditionally a light Japanese soup with strips of thin cut beef steaks cooked in a light broth made with stock, miso paste, soy sauce, rice noodles, chillies, fresh herbs and lime juice. It's a quick, but satisfying dish.
- 225g/8oz thin cut steaks, cut into strips or prepared stir-fry strips
- 1L/1¾ pints good, hot vegetable stock
- 60ml/4tbsp miso paste
- 5ml/1tsp sesame oil
- 15ml/1tbsp light soy sauce
- 50g/2oz rice noodles
- 75g/3oz watercress
- Juice of ½ lime
- Small bunch freshly chopped coriander and chives, optional
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, optional
- Put the stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and stir in the miso paste, sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Add the noodles and beef. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Remove from the heat and add the watercress and lime juice.
- Divide the soup between four bowls, garnish with the herbs and chilli (if using) before serving.