Quick Beef Stroganoff
This classic beef stroganoff is super quick as it uses beef stir fry strips, onions, mustard, mushrooms, stock and crème fraîche. A great midweek option served with chips.
- 450g lean sirloin or rump steaks cut into 5cm strips, or beef stir-fry strips
- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 225g mushrooms, wiped cleaned and sliced (we used chestnut)
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons cornflour mixed with a little cold water to form a paste
- 100ml good, hot beef stock
- 150ml crème fraîche
- Dash Worcestershire sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onions for 2-3 minutes until soft, but not coloured.
Add the mushrooms and brandy and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside for later.
Increase the heat under the pan, add the beef strips and cook for 4-5 minutes until brown, stirring occasionally.
Return the mushrooms to the pan with the beef and add the mustard, cornflour mix, stock and crème fraîche. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce if using.
Garnish with parsley and serve fries, rice or noodles and seasonal vegetables.