Roast Lamb with Fennel and Mustard Butter
A flavourful addition to the Sunday roast. Half lamb leg with a mustard, fennel seed and garlic butter
1 hour 30 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 900g-1.3kg/2-3lb lean lamb half leg joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the fennel and mustard butter
- :50g/2oz softened butter
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 45ml/3tbsp fennel seeds, finely crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Prepare the fennel and mustard butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slits over the surface. Season and spread the butter over the joint and into the slits.
- Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast in a preheated oven for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting with any rich meat juices.
- Slice the lamb and serve with a light rice salad.