Roast Lamb with Plum Apple and Cider Chutney
Works with any Autumnal fruit combination - apples, pears, plums, damsons
1 hour 30 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 1.25kg/2½lb lean lamb leg joint
- 45ml/2tbsp muscovado sugar
- 7.5ml/1½tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 plums, stoned and diced
- 1 eating apple, cored and cut into chunks
- 150ml/¼pint cider
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Calculate the cooking time of the joint and place onto a rack in a roasting tin. Mix together 15ml/1tbsp sugar and 5ml/1tsp cinnamon then rub over the surface of the joint.
- Open roast in a preheated oven for the preferred, calculated cooking time.
- Meanwhile make the chutney. Place the plums and apple into a pan. Add the the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes until the fruit is soft and most of the cider evaporated.
- Serve the lamb with the chutney, seasonal vegetables and roast or new potatoes.