Slow Cooker Chilli
This Chilli is perfect for the slow cooker. This low and slow recipe uses braising or stewing beef cubes, a selection or aromatic spices, red chilli flakes, onion, garlic, bay leaves, red peppers, mushrooms, red kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, good quality plain chocolate and finished with freshly chopped parsley. Serve with jacket potatoes, wedges or rice.
- 675g/1½lb lean braising or stewing beef cubes
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 450g/1lb onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5ml/1tsp ground cinnamon
- 5ml/1tsp ground cumin
- 5ml/1tsp dried oregano
- 15ml/1tbsp red chilli flakes
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 100g/4oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 x 400g can red kidney beans
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 100g/4oz good quality plain chocolate, broken into small pieces
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the meat with the onions and garlic, in batches for 4-5 minutes. Remove and transfer to a large slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the parsley and cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours or according to the manufacturers’ handbook.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve with jacket potatoes or wedges.