Spatchcocked Lamb with Anchovy and Herb Paste
A spatchcock whole leg lamb joint coated in a home-made anchovy and herb paste then cooked either on a prepared BBQ or in the oven.
- 1.8kg lean lamb leg joint, boned (ask your butcher or meat counter to do this for you)
For the Anchovy and Herb Paste:
- 12 anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 large handfuls flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 220°C,200°C, Fan, Gas Mark 7.
- To prepare the paste, place all the anchovy and herb paste ingredients into a blender and blend to a paste.
- Place the boned lamb joint in a large shallow dish and make several slits into the joint. Lay flat and spread with the paste. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours for the flavours to develop.
- Insert 2 long metal or wooden skewers, criss-crossing through the meat.
- Place directly on the shelf in a preheated oven (place a tray underneath to catch the drips) for about 50-60 minutes, turning frequently.
- Alternatively, place on a prepared barbecue not too close to the coals for about 55-60 minutes.
- Serve with a lemon and chive potato salad.