Steaks with Shallot and Mushroom Sauce
A delicious supper dish that is ready in 20 minutes. Pan cooked steak served with a shallot and mushroom sauce served with cheesy new potatoes.
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean rump or centre cut steaks
- 2 tablespoons oil
For the Shallot and Mushroom Sauce:
- 25g unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, or 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 75g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 100ml white wine
- 200ml good, hot beef or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon or flat-leaf parsley
For the Cheesy New Potatoes:
- 225g new potatoes, halved and par-boiled with 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves for 10-15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
- 25g grated mature hard cheese, e.g Cheddar
- To prepare the shallot and mushroom sauce; melt half the butter in a non-stick medium pan and gently cook the shallot or onion for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half. Whisk in the remaining butter until the sauce becomes creamy. Stir in the tarragon leaves, adjust the seasoning and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium-sized non-stick pan, season the steaks and cook according to your preference. Transfer to a warm plate and keep warm.
- Clean the pan and heat the olive or rapeseed oil. Add the potatoes and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle over the cheese and serve with the steak and sauce.