Steak Sandwich with Pickled Vegetables
This mouth-watering steak sandwich cooked with a tasty rub is a winner for tastebuds. Choose your favourite steak for this sandwich and is perfect for the barbecue or cooked in a griddle pan or grilled. The homemade pickled vegetables are all the rage at the moment, but is a simple relish to make and very tasty.
- 450g picanha or sirloin steaks
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- For the Rub:
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or Cajun seasoning
- For the Pickled Vegetables:
- ¼ white cabbage, finely shredded
- 7 radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ small cucumber, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
- Salad leaves, to garnish
- To prepare the pickled vegetables; put all the vegetables into a large bowl, add the salt, mix gently, cover and set aside for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- To prepare the rub; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Transfer the vegetables into a large sieve and rinse under cold running water. Allow the liquid to drain into a large bowl for 10 minutes. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the collected liquid.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the vinegar and sugar. Toss gently and set aside for 30 minutes for the flavours to develop. Add the reserve liquid and mint. Season and stir.
- Heat a non-stick griddle pan. Brush the steaks with the oil on both sides with the rub and cook for your preferred cooking time. Alternatively, cook on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill.
- Serve in toasted ciabatta rolls dressed with salad leaves and topped with the pickled vegetables.