Steaks with Tomato and Pepper Sauce
Use lean steak such as a lean fillet or the fabulous picanha steak to re-create this low calorie recipe. We have served our with a jacket potato and a dollop of low fat yogurt as an alternative to chips.
Based on a 2-3cm fillet steak
To Cook Rare: 3-4 minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4-5 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6-7 minutes on each side
- 4 lean fillet or picanha steaks
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped or 1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained and rinsed
- Large handful wild rocket or salad leaves, to garnish
- Season the steaks and rub with half the oil.
- Heat a large non-stick griddle pan and cook the steaks according to your preference.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil and cook the garlic, tomatoes, pepper and thyme for 7-8 minutes until soft. Season and add the Worcestershire sauce. Spoon the sauce onto the base of four warm plates and scatter with the capers.
- Place the steaks on top and garnish with rocker or salad leaves. Serve with a jacket potato and a dollop of low fat yogurt.