Beef Carpaccio with Mustard Dressing (version 2)
A great alfresco or entertaining dish featuring thinly sliced beef fillet served with a mustard dressing and rocket and shaved Parmesan
225-300g/8-10oz lean beef fillet, centre cut and trimmed
- 100g/4oz rocket leaves, rinsed
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp capers, rinsed
- Hard cheese shavings, e.g. Parmesan, to garnish
For the Mustard Dressing
- :60ml/4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 15ml/1tbsp lemon juice
- 10-15ml/2-3tsp Dijon mustard
- 15ml/1tbsp white wine vinegar
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Chill 6-8 serving plates. Meanwhile, prepare the beef; loosely wrap the fillet in foil or baking parchment and place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- To make the mustard dressing; place all the ingredients into a screw-topped jar and shake well. Season.
- Remove the beef from the freezer and slice as thinly as possible across the grain of the meat.
- Place the slices between sheets of cling film and using a rolling pin or meat mallet flatten evenly into wafer-thin slices. Chill until required.
- Arrange the rocket on the chilled plates, then the beef slices, slightly overlapping. Season, drizzle over the dressing and garnish with the capers, rocket and cheese before serving.