Beef,Shallot and Red Pepper Stew
Use some inexpensive braising or stewing steak and try this flavoursome stew with some crusty bread for a fantastic one-pot evening meal.
- 900g/2lb lean braising or stewing steak, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp sunflower oil
- 675g/1½lb shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 large red peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into large chunks
- 1 bottle good red wine
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Small sprig fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Place the seasoning, mixed herbs and flour in a large plastic food bag. Add the beef in batches and coat in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in 1.7L/3pint ovenproof casserole dish and brown the beef in batches with the shallots.
- Stir in the pepper, wine, stock and bay leaves, scraping the base of the dish to release any sediment. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob or in the oven for 2½-3 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Garnish the stew with the thyme and serve with mustard mash and seasonal vegetables