Individual Beef, Beer and Chestnut Pot Pies
A great pub classic recipe with slow cooked boneless beef shin, chestnuts, onions, mustard and stout covered with a layer of puff pastry. Delicious!
3 hours 10 minutes
- 450g/1lb lean beef braising steak cubes
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 225g/8oz vacuum packed whole peeled chestnuts
- 600ml/1pint bitter
- 5ml/1tsp brown sugar
- 5ml/1tsp wholegrain mustard
- 15ml/1tbsp gravy granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 450g/1lb puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4-5, 180-190ºC, 325-350ºF
- Place the beef cubes, onion and chestnuts into a deep pie or casserole dish
- Mix together the bitter, brown suger, mustard and gravy granules then pour over the meat. Add the bay leaf and stir together
- Roll out the puff pastry, large enough to cover the pie dish. Damp the edges of the dish with water and then place the pastry over the pie dish, trim the edges and press down to seal. Cut a small slit on the top to allow the steam to escape. Glaze the pastry with the egg and bake for 2 hours. Once the pastry has risen and is golden (after 30 minutes) cover with foil to prevent burning.
- Serve with creamy mustard flavoured mashed potatoes, additional gravy and braised apple and red cabbage.