Lamb Pilau Rice
A lovely aromatic and fruity rice dish featuring lamb cubes combined with onion, ground paprika, cinnamon, stock, pilau rice, freshly chopped apricots and freshly chopped coriander to finish.
- 450g lean lamb cubes (neck fillet, shoulder or leg)
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 600ml good, hot vegetable stock or water
- 2 x 150g packs flavoured pilau or savoury rice of your choice
- 50g dried apricots, chopped
- Handful freshly chopped coriander
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, season and cook the lamb for 6-8 minutes until golden brown. Spoon into a large flame/ovenproof dish.
- Add the onions to the same frying pan with the ground paprika cook for 3-4 minutes until soft then spoon into the dish with the lamb. Add the cinnamon stick and stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 1-1½hours in the oven.
- Stir in the rice, cover and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the oven, discard the cinnamon stick, stir in the apricots and chopped coriander and serve immediately.
- Serve the pilau with lemon wedges.