Lamb Shanks with Cider,Apple,Rosemary and Beans
Impressive supper for two that's quick to prepare but requires slow cooking. Lamb shanks become beautifully tender when cooked with cider and root vegetables.
2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 lean lamb shanks
- 1 leek, cut into thick slices
- 2 sticks celery, cut into thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 600ml/1pint cider
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- In an ovenproof casserole dish place the leek, celery, garlic, apples, and rosemary.
- Place the lamb shanks on top and pour over the cider, season and cover with lid. Cook in preheated oven for 2 hours or until meat in tender and falling from bone.
- 30 minutes before the end of cooking time remove lid and add the cannellini beans. Mix well and return to the oven uncovered for the remaining cooking time.
- Serve with mashed potato and seasonal vegetables.
Nutrition: Per Serving