Lamb Shanks with Cider, Apple, Rosemary and Beans
Impressive supper for two that's quick to prepare but requires slow cooking. Lamb shanks become beautifully tender when cooked with cider and root vegetables.
2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 lean lamb shanks
- 1 leek, cut into thick slices
- 2 sticks celery, cut into thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 600ml cider
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- In an ovenproof casserole dish place the leek, celery, garlic, apples, and rosemary.
- Place the lamb shanks on top and pour over the cider, season and cover with lid. Cook in preheated oven for 2 hours or until meat in tender and falling from bone.
- 30 minutes before the end of cooking time remove lid and add the cannellini beans. Mix well and return to the oven uncovered for the remaining cooking time.
- Serve with mashed potato and seasonal vegetables.