Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks with Pearl Barley (Slow Cooker Version)
This delicious stew made with lamb shanks and pearl barley is the ultimate comfort food. Just pop everything in the slow cooker and it will do the rest with minumum fuss.
- 4 lean lamb shanks
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 500g baby carrots, tops removed or 4 medium carrots, peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 300ml sweet cider
- 150ml good, hot lamb stock
- 150g pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 280g marrow (deseeded) or courgettes, roughly chopped
Put all the ingredients except the marrow or courgette in a large slow cooker.
Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours or according to your manufacturers’ handbook.
25 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the marrow or courgettes, stir gently and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
Serve with herb mash.