Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks with Pearl Barley (Slow Cooker Version)
- 4 lean lamb shanks
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 500g/1lb 2oz baby carrots, tops removed or 4 medium carrots, peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 300ml/½pint sweet cider
- 150ml/¼pint good, hot lamb stock
- 150g/5oz pearl barley
- 15ml/1tbsp runny honey
- 280g/10oz marrow (deseeded) or courgettes, roughly chopped
Put all the ingredients except the marrow or courgette in a large slow cooker.
Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours or according to your manufacturers’ handbook.
25 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the marrow or courgettes, stir gently and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
Serve with herb mash.