Scrumpy Cider Lamb Shanks
- 4 lean lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 large fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped
- 450m scrumpy cider or apple juice
- 4 tablespoons cider or white wine vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, place the shanks on a chopping board, make several incisions all over, season well and stuff with the garlic and half the rosemary leaves.
- Brown the lamb shanks in the dish for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally. Add the onions and celeriac and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C, Gas Mark 3.
- Add the cider or apple juice, cider or white wine vinegar and the remaining rosemary sprigs.
- Cover the dish with a lid or foil and cook for 2½-3 hours or until the meat falls away from the bone.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables and mashed potatoes.