Braised Lamb Shanks with Chick Peas
Serve with boiled potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
- 2 lamb shanks
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- 6 shallots or baby onions, peeled and left whole
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 150ml/¼pint fruity red wine
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 15ml/tbsp anchovy sauce
- 1 sachet bouquet garni or 15ml (1tbsp) dried mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- ½ x 420g can chick peas or butter beans, drained
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and brown the lamb shanks for 6-8 minutes, turning occasionally. Add the shallots or baby onions and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish and add the wine, chopped tomatoes, anchovy sauce, herbs and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and transfer to a preheated oven and cook for 2½-3 hours until the meat falls away from the bone. 40 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the chick peas or butter beans. Season if required. Mix well, cover and return to the oven for the remaining cooking time.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and seasonal vegetables.