Lamb Shish Kebabs with Houmous
These delicious lamb kebabs made with lamb leg cubes and marinated citrus herb marinade then threaded with sweet pepper cubes are perfect for the barbecue or any informal dinner party. Serve with the homemade houmous that is really quick to make.
- 450g/1lb lean lamb leg, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- For the Marinade
- :3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 45ml/3tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped mint
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 large red onion, cut into 5cm/2inch pieces
- 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into 5cm/2inch pieces
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and cut into 5cm/2inch pieces
- Extra oil, cooking for the vegetable kebabs
- For the Houmous
- :2 x 400g cans chick peas, drained
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 45ml/3tbsp water
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5ml/1tsp ground cumin
- 5ml/1tsp ground paprika
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large bowl mix together the marinade ingredients. Add the lamb, stir gently, cover and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour, or overnight, if time allows.
- Soak 8 wooden kebab skewers in water for 20 minutes.
- To prepare the houmous; put the chick peas, half the lemon juice and water in a food processor or blender and whizz to form a coarse paste. Add the remaining lemon juice, garlic, seasoning, oil and blend again. Adjust the seasoning if required and stir through the parsley. Transfer to a small bowl and garnish with the paprika.
- Thread the meat and peppers onto separate kebab skewers. Brush the vegetables with a little oil.
- Cook on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill or for 12-16 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Serve with flatbreads, the houmous and a buckwheat salad.