Lamb Tagine with Pomegranates
Delicious Moroccan style tagine for when you have time to spend in the kitchen. Lamb cubes with aromatic spices slow cooked and garnished with pomegranates.
2 hours 10 minutes
- 675g diced boneless lamb
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 large shallots or 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Pinch saffron threads
- 450ml good, hot vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 3-4 dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g can black-eyed beans or similar
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons fresh pomegranate seeds
1. Heat the oil in a large 1.7L flameproof dish, add the shallots or onions, ginger, turmeric and paprika. Season and cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the meat and garlic, coat in the flavoured oil and cook for 4-6 minutes until brown all over.
3. Add the saffron and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
4. 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the cinnamon stick, thyme, apricots and beans. Cover and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
5. Before serving remove the thyme and cinnamon stick from the tagine. Garnish with the coriander and pomegranate seeds and serve with couscous.