Lamb Tagine with Pomegranates
Delicious Moroccan style tagine for when you have time to spend in the kitchen. Lamb cubes with aromatic spices slow cooked and garnished with pomegranates.
2 hours 10 minutes
- 675g diced boneless lamb
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 large shallots or 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Pinch saffron threads
- 450ml good, hot vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 3-4 dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g can black-eyed beans or similar
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons fresh pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oil in a large 1.7L flameproof dish, add the shallots or onions, ginger, turmeric and paprika. Season and cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the meat and garlic, coat in the flavoured oil and cook for 4-6 minutes until brown all over.
- Add the saffron and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the cinnamon stick, thyme, apricots and beans. Cover and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Before serving remove the thyme and cinnamon stick from the tagine. Garnish with the coriander and pomegranate seeds and serve with couscous.