Lamb Tagine with Pomegranates
Delicious Moroccan style tagine for when you have time to spend in the kitchen. Lamb cubes with aromatic spices slow cooked and garnished with pomegranates.
2 hours 20 minutes
- 675g/1½lb lean boneless lamb or mutton shoulder or leg, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp oil
- 3 large shallots or 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 10ml/2tsp ground ginger
- 1.25ml/¼tsp ground turmeric
- 1.25ml/¼tsp sweet paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Pinch saffron threads
- 450ml/¾pint hot water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3-4 dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 30ml/2tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oil in a large 1.7L/3pint ovenproof dish, add the onions, ginger, turmeric, paprika and seasoning. Cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the meat and garlic, coat in the flavoured oil and cook for 4-6 minutes until brown all over.
- Add the saffron and water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours (3 hours, if using mutton).
- 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the cinnamon stick, thyme, apricots and coriander Cover and continue to cook for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Remove the thyme and cinnamon stick from the tagine. Garnish with the the pomegranate seeds and serve with steamed couscous or rice.
Tips:This recipe works well in a low oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F
Nutrition: Per Serving