Roast Lamb with Sweet Chilli Glaze
A simple, but tasty lamb roast using hald a leg of lamb with a home-made sweet chilli glaze.
2 hours 20 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean carvery or boneless lamb leg joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and quartered
- 450g/1lb small new potatoes
For the Sweet Chilli Glaze:
- 4 bird’s eye chillies, finely chopped (or remove the seeds for less heat)
- 60ml/4tbsp hot water
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 60ml/4tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Pinch salt
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp Thai fish sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season.
- Transfer the joint to a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin and open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any meat juices.
- To prepare the sweet chilli glaze; put all the ingredients in a pan gently bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes.
- 40-50 minutes before the end of the cooking time remove the joint from the oven. Remove the rack, add the vegetables in a single layer and place the joint on top. Return to the oven.
- 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time brush the glaze over the joint then finish cooking.
- Transfer the lamb and the vegetables to a warm platter. Cover and rest for 10 minutes before serving.