Oxtail with Blackberries,Thyme and Balsamic Vinegar
A fantastic full flavoured dish for a chilly day that features oxtail pieces combined with onions, spices, garlic, red wine, stock, fresh thyme and bay leaves, good balsamic vinegar and fresh blackberries. The oxtail is slowly cooked until the meat literally falls off the bone. Serve with creamy potatoes.
3 hours 30 minutes
- 1.3kg beef oxtail pieces
- ½ teaspoon allspice powder
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 300ml good red wine
- 450ml good, hot beef or chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 100g fresh blackberries, rinsed
- Place the oxtail in large plastic food bag. Add the seasoning and allspice powder, seal and shake well to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the oxtail until brown on all sides. Transfer to large heatproof casserole pot.
- In the same frying pan add the garlic and onion. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes and spoon into the casserole pot.
- Add the wine, stock and herbs and bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob for 3-3½ hours.
- 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the balsamic vinegar and blackberries.
- Serve the oxtail with the blackberries, crushed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.