BBQ Lamb Kebabs with Lemon Grass & Sweet Chilli Sauce
Lemon Grass Kebabs with Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 675g/1½lb lean lamb leg or boneless shoulder, cut into 5cm/2inch cubes
For the Marinade
- :1-2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- Large handful freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 2 lemon grass stalks, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 large lime
- 2.5cm/1inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 10ml/2tsp light brown sugar
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 15ml/1tbsp clear honey
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Sweet Chilli Sauce
- :120ml/8tbsp rice or sherry vinegar
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- ¼ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 small shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
For the Roasted Summer Vegetables
- :1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into cubes
- 2 courgettes, roughly chopped
- 1 aubergine, roughly chopped
- 15 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2-3 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 60ml/4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the marinade; place the lamb into a shallow bowl. Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour over the lamb. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Meanwhile prepare the roasted vegetables, place the vegetables in a large ovenproof casserole dish or roasting tray. Tear the herbs and add to the tray, season, drizzle with olive oil and lightly toss. Roast uncovered for 40-50 minutes in a preheated oven, Gas mark 6, 200°C/400°F, until golden brown, shaking the pan occasionally during cooking.
- To make the sweet chilli sauce, place the vinegar and caster sugar into a small pan and heat gently, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the chilli, coriander and shallot. Transfer to a small dish to cool until required.
- Thread the lamb cubes onto 6 metal or wooden (previously soaked in water) and cook on a prepared barbecue or preheated grill for 12-16 minutes, turning occasionally until the meat juices run clear.
- Serve the kebabs with the roasted summer vegetables and the sweet chilli sauce.