Beef Mini Roast with Mac 'n' Cheese
Try this mid week mini roasting joint that serves 2-3 people and is topped with garlic and herbs. It cooks in 50 minutes and is easy to carve. Serve with some comforting macaroni cheese.
- 1 x 400-450g/14oz-1lb lean beef mini roast (we used a mini topside joint)
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 5ml/1tsp garlic purée
- 5ml/1tsp rapeseed or olive oil
- For the Macaroni Cheese
- :250g/9oz dried macaroni
- 40g/1½oz butter
- 40g/1½oz plain flour
- 850ml/1½pints milk
- 1.25ml/¼tsp ground nutmeg
- 1.25/¼tsp English mustard powder
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 75g/3oz mature hard cheese, e.g. Cheddar, grated
- 40g/1½oz fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- 15ml/1tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F
.In a small bowl mix together the parsley, garlic purée and oil. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
Place the joint on a chopping board, make several slashes over the surface, season and spread with the herb mixture. Transfer to a roasting rack in a medium non-stick roasting tin and roast for 40-50 minutes (for medium). Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
Meanwhile, to prepare the macaroni cheese, melt the butter in a large non-stick saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for a few minutes then gradually stir in the milk with a wooden spoon or spatula until a smooth sauce develops. Remove from the heat and stir in the nutmeg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, cheese and macaroni. Season if required.
Spoon into a large ovenproof dish. Mix together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle on top and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Remove the joint from the oven, transfer to a warm plate, cover and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
Slice the roast and serve with the macaroni cheese and salad leaves.