Braised Veal Cubes with Olives and Red Onions
Light veal casserole makes an elegant supper for 4. Flavoured with garlic, sundried tomatoes, olives and Madeira wine for a Mediterranean feel.
- 450g/1lb lean veal shoulder cubes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp sun-dried tomato paste or 25g/1oz sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 125ml/4floz Madeira wine
- 425-600ml/¾-1pint good, hot beef stock
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp dried mixed herbs
- 25-50g/1-2oz pitted green olives, roughly chopped
- Freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- In a large bowl season the veal cubes. Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan under a medium heat and cook the veal cubes for 2-3 minutes in batches until brown. Transfer to a large 1.2L/2pint casserole dish.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft. Spoon into the casserole dish.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer on the hob for 1½hours.
- Garnish with the parsley and serve with pasta or rice and seasonal vegetables.