Cottage Pie with Bubble and Squeak Topping
Use your leftovers to make a fabulous topping for a lamb or a cottage pie.
- 450g lean beef or lamb mince (beef for Cottage and lamb for Shepherd's)
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 450ml pint stock
- 675g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 250g Savoy cabbage, shredded
- Knob of butter
- In a non-stick pan dry fry the beef or lamb mince with the onion and carrots, until browned. Stir in the flour, tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce. Add the stock, bring to the boil and cook for 5-10 minutes until the carrots are just soft.
- Preheat the oven to 180°-190°C, 160-170°C Fan, Gas Mark 4-5. Meanwhile in a large pan place the potatoes and the parsnips. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes or until soft.
- During the last 8-10 minutes of cooking time add the cabbage, to the pan. Once cooked drain and mash with a knob of butter, milk and season.
- Transfer the mince into an ovenproof dish and spoon the bubble and squeak mash over the top. Cook in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with peas or baked beans.