Lamb Rogan Josh Curry
A delicious, but aromatic Indian lamb curry with cubes of lamb leg or shoulder that takes only 15 minutes minutes to prepare.
2 hours 30 minutes
- 450g lean lamb shoulder or leg, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 450ml good, hot lamb stock
- 6 small new potatoes, halved
- 100g cauliflower florets
- Natural yogurt, to garnish
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves, to garnish
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick pan and brown the lamb in batches for 3-4 minutes. Spoon into a 1.2L heatproof casserole dish.
- Add the remaining oil to the same pan and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and spices for 3-4 minutes or until soft and golden. Spoon into the casserole dish.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 2 hours or until the lamb is tender, stirring occasionally. Season if required.
- Add the vegetables, cover and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, discard the cinnamon stick and garnish with the yogurt and coriander.
- Serve with basmati rice and a selection of Indian relishes and poppadoms or naan bread.
Additional Recipe Information:
Nutritionals based on lean lamb shoulder cubes. Accompaniments not included.