Lamb Rogan Josh Curry
A delicious, but aromatic Indian lamb curry with cubes of lamb leg or shoulder that takes only 15 minutes minutes to prepare.
2 hours 30 minutes
- 450g/1lb lean lamb shoulder or leg, cut into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes
- 30ml/2tbsp oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 2.5cm/1 inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5ml/1tsp chilli powder
- 15ml/1tbsp ground coriander
- 10ml/2tsp Garam Masala
- 5ml/1tsp ground turmeric
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- 450ml/¾pint good, hot lamb stock
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 6 small new potatoes, halved
- 100g/4oz cauliflower florets
- Natural yogurt, to garnish
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves, to garnish
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick pan and brown the lamb in batches for 3-4 minutes. Spoon into a 1.2L/2pint heatproof casserole dish.
- Add the remaining oil to the same pan and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and spices for 3-4 minutes or until soft and golden. Spoon into the casserole dish.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 2-2½ hours or until the lamb is tender, stirring occasionally. Season if required.
- 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the vegetables.
- Remove from the heat, discard the cinnamon stick and garnish with the yogurt and coriander.
- Serve with basmati rice and a selection of Indian relishes and poppadoms or naan bread.
Nutrition: Per Serving