Low and Slow Shredded Beef Brisket
This tender beef brisket is slow cooked with a combination of chipotle paste, stock, chopped tomatoes, honey and whiskey. Shred and serve in soft rolls with caramelised sweet onions. Great for a barbecue gathering.
3 hours 30 minutes
- 900g/2lb lean brisket joint (unrolled)
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp chipotle paste (available at larger supermarkets)
- 200ml/7fl oz good, hot beef stock
- 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 30ml/2tbsp runny honey
- 45ml/3tbsp Bourbon whiskey, optional
- For the Sweet Onions
- :2 red onions, peeled and sliced
- 30ml/2tbsp water
- 30ml/2tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 15ml/1tbsp caster sugar
- Bread rolls, to serve
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 2, 150°C, 300°F.
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season all over with salt and pepper. Brown the joint on all sides and transfer to a large flame/ovenproof dish with a lid.
- Add the chipotle paste, stock, tomatoes, honey and Bourbon (if used). Cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 3-3½hours until the beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sweet onions; put the onions in a small pan with the water and sweat the onions under a moderate heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar and sugar. Continue to cook the onions for a further 10-15 minutes until the soft and syrupy.
- Transfer the beef to a clean chopping board, reserving the sauce and `pull’ apart by securing with a fork and shredding the meat with a second fork.
Pile the shredded brisket in rolls of your choice, spoon over the sauce and serve with the onions.