- 1 x 1.3kg lean brisket or silverside joint
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped
- 300g mixed mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 600ml good, hot beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chilli sauce, optional
- 1 x 400g can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- 225g Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the joint all over. Transfer to a large casserole dish suitable for hob and oven.
- In the same frying pan, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes then spoon into the casserole dish.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the beans and Brussels sprouts. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on the hob or in a preheated oven at 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3 for 2½-3 hours.
Tips:A slow cooker version of this recipe is available too.