Brisket with Mushrooms and Tarragon
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower or rapeseed oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped
- 300g/10½oz mixed mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 600ml/1 pint food, hot beef stock
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp freshly chopped tarragon
- 30ml/2tbsp chilli sauce, optional
- 1 x 400g can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- 225g/80z Brussels sprouts, halved
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Place the joint on a chopping board and season.
2. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the joint all over. Transfer to a large casserole dish suitable for hob and oven.
3. In the same frying pan, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes then spoon into the casserole dish.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, except the beans and Brussels sprouts. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on the hob or in a preheated oven at Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F for 2½-3 hours½
If you would like to do the recipe in a slow-cooker we've worked it all out for you: Brisket with Mushrooms and Tarragon