Pot Roast Brisket
A warming casserole recipe featuring brisket and chorizo sausage using a slow cooker.
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g/2oz chorizo sausage, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 small pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 200ml/7floz good, hot beef stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- Place the joint on a chopping board and season.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the joint all over with the chorizo. Transfer to a large plate.
- In the same frying pan add the remaining ingredients and cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon into the slow cooker and place the joint and chorizo on top.
- Turn the slow cooker to HIGH and cook for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, or according to your manufacturers’ handbook.
- Remove the joint from the cooker, slice and serve with the sauce and cheesy mash.