Pot Roast Beef with Plums and Star Anise (Slow Cooker version)
A great slow cook autumnal recipe using brisket or silverside joint that is cooked with onions, garlic, parsnips, star anise spices, stock and seasonal plums or damsons. This recipe is most certain to warm you up. You can also do this recipe without a slow cooker, take a look here.
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 star anises (available at large supermarkets)
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 225g/8oz red plums or damsons, halved and stoned
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface of the joint, taking care not to cut the butcher’s string or elasticated meat bands. Season and rub with the thyme on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the joint on both sides with the garlic, onion and parsnips. Transfer to a large slow cooker, add the star anise and stock. Turn on to HIGH and cook for 4-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, or according to your manufacturers’ handbook.
- Garnish with freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley and serve the brisket with seasonal vegetables and creamy mash.
- 1 hour before the end of the cooking time add the plums or damsons.